|[Ben]:||Encouraging behavior from meth-makers ||No discussion found|
|Georgia Man's Pants Explode |
Tuesday, August 03, 2004
A Georgia man's experience only goes to prove what most people take as common sense: Don't try to mix dangerous chemicals in your pants.
According to newspaper reports, three Walker County social workers were visiting Daniel Gabriel Doyle, 39, of LaFayette, last Tuesday. As he sat in their car filling out paperwork, his pants exploded.
"He kept fiddling with his front right pants pocket," Patrick Stanfield, commander of the Lookout Mountain Judicial Circuit Drug Task Force, told the Walker County Messenger. "All of a sudden, a loud bang happened, and fire shot from his pocket. It damaged the inside of the state vehicle and burned clothing on the case workers."
Apparently, Doyle had combined red phosphorus (search) and iodine (search), two chemicals used to make methamphetamine, in a film canister. He then stuck the canister in his pocket when the social workers showed up.
"He didn't know what he was doing, and it started boiling on his leg," Stanfield said.
The reaction of the two chemicals heats up to about 278 degrees Fahrenheit before exploding, according to the Messenger.
"The state might have to destroy the vehicle," Stanfield said. "The car is contaminated now."
Sheriff's deputies found a meth lab on the premises and arrested Tammy Conley, 29, as well as Doyle, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
The case workers were treated for minor injuries in LaFayette. Doyle was taken to Erlanger Medical Center (search) in nearby Chattanooga, Tenn., with second- and third-degree burns to his testicles and leg.
By Friday he was in the Walker County Jail, charged with manufacture and possession of methamphetamine.
"That was one for the books," Walker County sheriff's Maj. Hill Morrison told the Journal-Constitution. "I've been in this business for more than 35 years, and that's a first."
Be careful what you put in your pants, folks.
Encouraging behavior from meth-makers